The Valley Symphony Orchestra is hiring! We are looking for the next addition to our small and dedicated team working to support classical music and the arts in the Rio Grande Valley. If you are organized, care about customer service, and want to make a unique contribution in your day-to-day work, we want to meet you! Familiarity with classical music is not necessary but certainly helps. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to hello AT valleyorchestra.org no later than July 15, 2021. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis; interested individuals should apply asap.
The Valley Symphony Orchestra is a professional arts organization located in McAllen, Texas. The VSO staff support Maestro Peter Dabrowski and 70+ musicians in executing a season of performances that includes 5 subscription concerts, 6 education concerts, an annual fundraising gala and several special events. VSO staff are responsible for all marketing, producing, fundraising, financial management, and administrative matters of the organization. The VSO performs in McAllen’s state of the art Performing Arts Center, a 1,800 seat venue situated among the city’s convention center, shops, and restaurants. McAllen, a bi-national community located in the heart of the Rio Grande Valley, is located on the border of Texas and Mexico.
During the Covid-19 crisis, the VSO has transitioned to performing online and increasing its digital presence.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as liaison and partner to VSO facilities including UTRGV performance hall and McAllen Performing Arts Center
- Oversee logistics for VSO rehearsals and performances, including instrument transportation, work crew oversight, and stage setup.
- Manage concert production and gala production budgets, and serve as point of contact for production vendors.
- Draft, issue, and file all contracts for employees, guest artists, and others as needed.
- Maintain musician files in partnership with Personnel Manager
- Respond to staff requests for account reports and needed analytical data
- Liaise with insurance broker, obtain policy renewals, certificates of liability for events, contracts, and up to date policy information
- Ensure on-time and accurate reporting to music licensing companies such as BMI, ASCAP, etc
- Responsible for obtaining and documenting information concerning major business purchases, assets and any office improvements. Responsible for preparing and administering RFPs for major purchases.
- Ensure the overall smooth running of the VSO’s internal administration and its cost-effectiveness.
- Serves as part of the VSO concerts team
- Other duties as assigned
- With assistance from bookkeeper, prepare monthly and event-based reports for the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Work with staff on grant applications and reporting, providing budgets, forecasts, and other financial data as needed.
- Regularly assess the VSO’s workflows and filing practices for efficiency and adherence to best practices, updating systems as needed.
- Collect data for year-end audit and tax return preparation; provide data for auditor requests.
- High level of personal integrity with a deep commitment to transparency and accountability
- Ability to work as a trusted member of a team and take responsibility for shared outcomes
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment and manage multiple priorities at once
- Ability to solve problems while communicating confidence to patrons, board members, and other key constituents
- Commitment to maintaining a professional standard of quality for the patron experience, VSO print and web communications, and interactions with key stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in business, non-profit administration, accounting, or related field.
- 5+ years relevant work experience (advanced education may compensate for some work experience)
- Strong proficiency with MS Excel and MS Word
- Very strong attention to detail
- Strong budgeting and financial analysis skills
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication, problem solving, and teamwork skills
- Ability to design and write basic financial reports
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects and manage competing priorities
- Knowledge of Quickbooks Online (both standard and advanced)
- Ability to communicate (written and verbal) in Spanish
- Non-profit bookkeeping experience
- Experience in customer service and/or donor relations
- Familiarity with the arts and/or symphonic music